- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Hot Chicken Italian Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon — chopped
- 1 – 12 oz. package Flav-R-Pac Brussels Sprouts, thawed and halved
- 1 medium sweet potato — peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion — chopped
- 2 McIntosh Apples — peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic — minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme — or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth — divided
Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium high, until hot and shimmering. Add the chicken sausage, and black pepper. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Reduce skillet heat to medium low. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp and brown and the fat has rendered, about 8 minutes.
Increase skillet heat back to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 30 seconds, then pour in 1/2 cup of the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve warm with rice or quinoa.